Donato di Gaetano, founder of Mirvita Opificium AreVino, was born in Canosa di Puglia on July 26th, 1954. In 1979 he graduated cum laudae in economic and social disciplines at Bocconi University in Milan.
In the academic years 1980-81 and 1981-82, thanks to a scholarship granted from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Italian Republic, he sojourned in Moscow to continue his studies at both the department of Planning the national economy (under the direction of Prof. AI Anchishkin), and the department of Mathematical Methods of Economic Analysis (under the direction of the Academician, Prof. SS Shatalin) of the Faculty of Economics of the Moscow State University
On the theoretical issues of economic development he spent a period of research at the Central Institute of Mathematical Economics (TSEMI) of the Academy of Sciences under the supervision of the Academician N. Petrakov. As one of the few Western economists to attend TSEMI, he studied with the later scholars S. S. Shatalin and Nikolai Petrakov, later economic advisors to M. Gorbachev and protagonists of the last attempt at economic reform (the 500 Day Program) before the collapse of the Soviet Union on December 8, 1991 and after the fall of the Berlin Wall in 1989.
From 1990 to 2001 he taught Comparative Economic Systems at the Faculty of Economics at LUISS, encouraging collaboration with university institutions in Russia, the Czech Republic and Slovakia. In 1990 he was hired by Confindustria in the field of International Affairs dealing, among other things, with the international development of the Italian industrial system, with East-West relations, with the enlargement of the European Union, with Multilateral Banks and with International Financial Institutions.
From the latter part of 1995 to December 2001 he was the National Coordinator of the “Schema di concertazione interistituzionale per la competitività internazionale dell’Italia” (Inter-institutional coordination framework for international competitiveness of Italy), an innovative instrument of foreign economic policy, promoted by MAE, Confindustria, ICE and other national public and private institutions . An avant-garde experience managed to “anticipate” the processes of globalization and to propose systemic methods and instruments for competitiveness of the “national system”. Over the last few years it focused on “International cooperation policies and instruments” contributing ideas and proposals to draft the new laws for Italy’s international cooperation.
He is the author of numerous publications and interventions on the research topics mentioned (see below)
Alongside economic-mathematical research and international trade and financial relations, his multidisciplinary interests have embraced literature, poetry, music, ballet and figurative arts, exploration of the Cosmos (the “New World”, Novy Mir ) with particular reference to the Russian vanguards of the early 1900s and its relations with European and Italian avant-gardes (such as futurism).
The critical and in-depth reading of the “truncated century” in light of the study and research experience carried out in the former Soviet Union in the ’80s, “the imagination” of the Mirvita Opificium ArteVino Project in 2005 and its realization begun in 2011, represented the bases of a vision projected into the 21st century, the summa and image of an Elevated Project that merges culture, Art and Science, encounters, love of Wine and the projection of oneself. In all forms and ideas.
A century after the October Revolution, the cultural heritage of the avant-garde, not only in Russia, which flourished from 1912 until the early 1930s, reverberated throughout the entire course of modern and contemporary art of the 20th and the 21st century.
The avant-gardes were protagonists of the radical changes in the Arts and Sciences. From painting to sculpture, to graphic design, photography, on through literature, poetry, architecture, visual arts, cinema, to the Cosmos, etc. Leading personalities such as Alexandra Exter, Natalia Goncharova, El Lissitzky, Kasimir Malevich, Marc Chagall, Vassily Kandinsky, Aleksej Krucenych, Vladimir Mayakovsky, Serghei Eisenstein, Dziga Vertov, Lyubov Popova, Vladimir and Georgii Stenberg, Lazar Khidekel, Vladimir Tatlin (with his Letatlin, the “ærial bicycle”) and also the visionary machines of Ary Abramovich Sternfeld (co-creator of modern space science) and Fridrik Tsander (pioneer of Soviet astronautics and creator of the cosmic sail).
Suprematism, since 1913 promoted by Malevich, is perhaps the artistic expression that interprets experimentation, in the most advanced form, on the interaction of bodies and spaces of different orders. The passage from a two-dimensional world to a three-dimensional order metaphorically extensible to a four-dimensional sense defined, through his “Black Square”, the “zero dimension” of contemporary Art. In essence we define the new perceptions and measures of space and time to which the emotional faculties and pure sensitivity are added, what Malevich defines as “intuitive reason”.
The aspiration to the infinite and the cosmic rush find expression in all the pictorial, architectural, applied research of K. Malevich. The abandonment of Euclidean space is, thus, a revolutionary theoretical achievement that marked a turning point in the History of Art. And it is no coincidence that while K. Malevich defined the not only theoretical bases of Suprematism, that same November, 1915, Albert Einstein presented his four studies of the general theory of relativity to the Prussian Academy of Sciences. The tectonic upheavals in Science and Art, together with the social changes of the early twentieth century will determine a New World.
In 1989 the Tor de falchi Estate was created and in 2011 the construction of the Mirvita winery began, first in the world of Suprematist inspiration, herald of the CosmoNature dimension and instrument of the Diplomacy of Culture and Peace in the 21st century.
Mirvita Opificium ArteVino defines a new dimension of Enological and Culinary Art and identifies itself as an international cultural center projected into the Cosmic and Digital Era. The ARTEVINO dimension merges in unison with the dimension ARTSCIENCE .
It is an “attractor of development”, a multidisciplinary avant-garde Opus projected into the 21st century, a bridge between past, present and future where pure creative sensitivity may be exercised and our future imagined by concentrating research on complex and fertile relationships between the artistic vision of the Cosmos and the concrete investigation of the journey into Space in the light of the recent discoveries in the Science of Gravitational Waves and aerospace technology.
Publication and reseach
1. “East-West Economic Relations and Some Aspects of Trade between Italy and the European Countries of CMEA”, ,Rivista di Dirittto Valutario e di Economia Internazionale, vol XVII-IV,1983
2. The State Bank of the U.S.S.R.: 1921 – 1981, Milan, Cariplo, 1984 (Editor and translator)
3. The Soviet Economy: an Inside View, Milan, Franco Angeli, 1984
4. “Western Interests in and Leverage on the Soviet and Eastern European Economies”, in M. Carnovale / W. Potter (eds.), Continuity and Change in Soviet – East European Relations: Implication for the West, London, Westview Press, 1989
5. “EEC – CMEA Relations between Normalisation and Co-operation. A New Frontier in Europe?”, Rivista di studi Politici Internazinali, 56th year, 1989, pp. 529-546
6. “Italo-Soviet Economic Relations: Structure and Recent Evolution”, Le Courrier des Pays de l’Est, n. 357, 1991
7. Economic and Financial Relations between Italy and the Countries of Eastern and Central Europe and CIS Region: Foreign Economic Guidelines for the ‘90s, Rome, SIPI, 1993
8. PHARE and TACIS Programmes: Proposals for Re-orientation and Re-organization, (Mimeo), East-West Italian Committee, Rome, February 1995
9. “Morire per Maastricht o per la Nuova Europa?” (“To die for Maastricht or for the New Europe?”), Tendenze Internazionali, no. 4, 1996
10. “Riflessioni sottovoce sulla Nuova Europa” (“Quiet reflections over the New Europe”), Tendenze Internazionali, no. 10, 1997
11. Donato di Gaetano, Lucilla di Virgilio, Lorenzo Maggio : La Cooperazione Esterna dell’Unione Europea – Le procedure di gestione fra sviluppo e politica estera. (“The External Cooperation of the European Union – The management procedures between development and foreign policy”),Edizioni SIPI, Rome, June 2003
Nuovi strumenti di politica economica estera e Modello di Coordinamento Interistituzionale (MCI) / New instruments of foreign economic policy and Inter-Institutional Coordination Model (ICM) – Rome, april 2020
Crisi e Cicli: l’onda lunga della caduta del muro di Berlino. Rome, December 2020 ( Crises and cycles : the long wave of the fall of Berlin Wall )
Mirvita is heavly involved in Art and promotion of the cultural heritage of the territory. Here in after some of the initiatives since 2014 :
• Music of space……. Music of our time , 2014. Two live jaz concerts with the participation of Kekko Fornarelli and Roberto Cherillo have been performed ;
• Mirvita tribute to K. Malevich in the occasion of the retrospective devoted to the pioneer of the contemporary art at GAMeC, Bergamo,oct. 2015.Initiatives implemented :Suprematist wines “ …at the exhibition”;ETIKETTOVIČ ! competition. A label dedicated to Malevic’s Suprematism ;
• A joint tribute by MIRVITA Opificium ArteVino Tor de falchi and GAMeC has been dedicated to Kasimir Malevich in the occasion of the 100th anniversary of the birth of Suprematism. A World premiere « Poetics of pure feeling » – an opera composed and directed by Maestro Salvatore Sica – has been performed from the barrel cellar of MIRVITA Opificium ArteVino Tor de’ falchi in Minervino Murge (Apulia, Italy). Contributors to the project design are sculptor Vito Maiullari and the founder of MIRVITA Opificium ArteVino, prof. Donato Di Gaetano. November 28th, 2015 Minervino Murge (BT) – Italy
• In the framework of the Annual Cultural Week 2017, promoted by Confindustria,has been organized the cultural event : The Space Time dimension between Art and Science towards the XXI st century
Forthcomig initiative : Matera European capital of Culture 2019
• From 12 till 18 th of november 2019 Mirvita Opificium ArteVino will be protagonist in the framework of Matera European capital of Culture 2019
Tile of the programme : Mirvita “ feeespace”. The Open furture between ArtScience and Humanism projected toward the Cosmic and digital Era
• The birth of Mirvita Opificium ArteVino.A bridge between the past and the future : the Humanism into the globalization, Summary of a creative journey of the identity founded on the pure suprematist sensibility ( first edition oct 2015; revised version january 8th, 2017)